FAMILY DONATION LAND CLAIMS: Henry and Rachel Cooper Matheny

July 4th, 2021

Rachel’s daughter Sarah Jane had married Aaron Layson unexpectedly while witnessing the elopement wedding of Aaron’s sister, also named Sarah Jane, with Adam Matheny. At first upset by the unplanned wedding, Rachel learned to have a very close relationship with this son-in-law, rearing his motherless children and housekeeping for him while he farmed her land. But that was to be in the future, During the 1843 migration, they were learning how to be kin. When the Oregon company met to organize at the grove West of Fizhugh’s Mill on May 18, 1843, Aaron Layson was called upon to act as chairman, quite an honor for the twenty-three- year- old newlywed. Peter H. Burnett, later to become California’s first governor was elected secretary. (James W. Nesmith diary, Oregon Historical Quarterly Vol. 7, p.329) At the end of the Oregon trip, Henry and Rachel wintered at the Methodist Mission at The Dalles, not entering the Willamette Valley until spring (unlike Mary and Daniel Matheny, who crossed over Mt. Hood and wintered in the Tualatin Valley).

In the spring of 1844, Rachel and Henry settled at what is now Hopewell, Yamhill County, Oregon, against the Eola Hills. When the first death occurred in the area, because their claim lay on high ground, Rachel and Henry donated a portion of their land as the local cemetery, where Rachel herself would one day be buried. At the Hopewell Cemetery there is a monument dedicated to Rachel. Henry apparently accompanied Rachel’s brothers to the California gold fields in 1849, and most of the women went too, including Rachel and her daughter Sarah Jane Layson. It was in what is now called Cooper Canyon a mile or two west of Pilot Hill, CA, where the Mathenys and Coopers worked the gravel. It was there in the autumn that “camp fever” ravaged the canyon. One by one Rachel saw her husband, her daughter, her brother John, and her father die there and be carried to the graveyard at Sutter’s Mill (Coloma). She couldn’t have helped wishing the family had remained in Oregon on their land, but now she had too much to do to spend too much time reflecting. There in the epidemic-plagued Mother Lode, she took over the care of Sarah Jane’s motherless children, the youngest a newborn baby. With Henry alive, the Mathenys had qualified for 640 acres of Oregon land, but alone, she could only qualify for 320. Her son-in-law Aaron Layson was now in the same situation; so he took over half of her land claim. She cooked, cared for the children (Ann, born c1844; James Benjamin, born c1846; and Cena Abigale, born 1849), and took care of the house; he farmed the land. Only twenty-nine when his wife died, Aaron never remarried until after Rachel’s death many years later.

The 1850 Census shows that Rachel was living alone with grandchildren Ann E., 6; James R.; 4, and Abby, 1; Aaron must have still been in the California gold country. But by 1860 Rachel was again living with Aaron and two unmarried grandchildren. The 1865 personal property tax list shows that Rachel owned or produced that year 2 tons of hay, 40 bushels of apples, 2 hogs, 7 horses, 16 cattle, 10 bushels of potatoes, 100 pounds of butter, 70 bushels of wheat, and 100 bushels of oats. She had twenty acres under cultivation.

It appears that there was bad blood between the Laysons and the Kirkwoods. As early as January 1868, Joseph Kirkwood had foreclosed on a loan to his brother-in-law Aaron Layson. In March of 1874, Aaron Layson is on record as having sued Joseph Kirkwood, but no resolution of the case is listed the Circuit Court Journal. In 1876 Rachel sold her farm for $5,000 to her three Layson grandchildren. This sale may have provoked litigation. In March of 1877, Aaron Layson again sued Joseph Kirkwood. Records also show that in June of 1877, Joseph Kirkwood filed a suit against M.E.Bailey, husband of Cena Layson Bailey, the daughter of Aaron and Sarah Jane Matheny Layson. At the height this lawsuit, Rachel Cooper Matheny died on June 25, 1877, at the age of seventy-four. The friction among her family no doubt caused Rachel considerable stress.

Rachel had been the last of her generation of the family left in the Willamette Valley. Her brothers Enoch and Bill had moved to eastern Washington and her brother Isaiah to the Midwest; the rest were dead. She was buried in the cemetery on her own land, next to Mary and Daniel Matheny.

THE 1843 GREAT MIGRATION WAGON TRAIN: The Journey

July 4th, 2021

On this journey Henry Hewitt, drove one of Daniel and Mary Matheny’s wagons. Driving that wagon, Henry was the first to cross the Blue Mountains of Oregon and the second to reach the end of the Oregon Trail at The Dalles. –Genealogytrails.com, contributed by Don Rivara

FAMILY HISTORIC SITES: Adam’s Grove

July 4th, 2021

After his parents, Henry and Elizabeth Matheny Hewitt, died in1899, Adam Wesley Hewitt settled in the northern portion of their Donation Land Claim.  His home was set in a grove of oak trees, which came to be called Adam’s Grove. His brother  James Andrew Hewitt, farmed the southern portion. Adam married Cynthia Jane Pittman (1855-1932), one of the nine Pittman girls who attended the Hewitt School on his parents’ donation land claim with the nine Hewitt boys, on July 21, 1872. He bought out James Andrew’s portion of the Hewitt Donation Land Claim.

“Adam built two different houses on his share of the old family Donation Land Claim.  The “old house” was still there as late as 1914. Marie Solberg thinks Adam built the new house about 1918;”  “For a couple of years Adam lived in Portland, where he worked for the Albina Fuel Company, probably hauling fuel,– information from genealogytrails.com, Family Records – Hewitt Family submitted by Don Rivara.

“Adam raised dairy cows and skunks. He sold the skunks hides and knew how to neutralize their odor.”
Uncle Adam- saw him a few times. Small man, good-natured, hardworking. His son Otis made a living training and racing racehorses. Uncle Adam learned how to deodorize skunks, raise them to market size and skin them and sell the hides. Raised a few cows, selling some cream.
Saw him just once, only a few minutes, probably when I was five years old. –Jean Kerr [Henry and Elizabeth Matheny Hewitt>James Andrew Hewitt>Sylva Hewitt Kerr> Jean Kerr]

Excerpt from “The Reunion” by Elma Hewitt, President Emeritus

“The Children of Henry Hewitt and Elizabeth Matheny Hewitt decided twenty years after the deaths of their parents in 1899 they should keep in touch.  They decided to meet each year. ”

Reunion in the Oak Grove at Adam Hewitt’s home on the Henry and Elizabeth Matheny Hewitt DLC.

“When the reunion started, it was held at the old family home of Henry and Elizabeth, and then at Adam Hewitt’s home which was part of the Henry Hewitt donation land claim and a little north of Henry and Elizabeth’s home.  (There is a monument on Wallace Road where the house was located.)  Now there are a few oak trees left around Adam’s house and a couple of other houses have been built in the area.”

Past Reunion minutes show the Reunion was held in the oak grove at Adam Hewitt’s home in 1925, 1926, 1927, and 1930.

To see more FAMILY HISTORIC SITES, click on the link below.